Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Nesting: Hanging out at home

Nest II in the afternoon
This is the Nest (II), where I easily spend most of my time and where I like to carry out the art of hanging out one on one.  If you have been here, you're fucking welcome. Hanging out one on one is kinda my jam and I think really the only true way to reach understanding the trueness of another human.  I digress, I will talk more of that later.  This is about creating comfort and it's inherent place in hanging out, particularly at home.  I love the Nest and finally after over a decade of having a new space to live in-pretty much annually, I think I have learned to manage the art of creating comfort in each space quickly.  The equation is pretty simple but essential if you like people to feel comfortable in your home.  Soft things, a sense of warmth, and interesting shit to look at (womb recreating? too far?).  I love this space so much the current goal is to recreate it exactly but in mobile form but again I digress!

I really love to have folks in the Nest.  Even if I am not particularly thrilled when they get there because I am tired/grumpy, I am pretty happy by the time they leave. For folks that kick it with me in this space I like them to leave a lil tipsy, satiated and somehow feeling a little better about their place in life.
I have a white bike fetish. Don't read too deep into it.
This desire I think is pretty inherent in me but in this department I often think of my hang out sensei and general life coach, my friend Terry Johnson.  I lived with her briefly and although I am pretty sure the fridge at any given point only contained margarine, saltines and Miller High Life, for guests meals were always produced and drink was always had, and for one- even if only brief moment shit felt alright.  And now that I think about it those were all elements of our home on a daily basis, the essentials of daily life. The fundamental elements of hosting at home above all else are drank, food, a good place to sit and an ear given as if it is nothing and with a regular occurrence.  Which if you are living your life justly, it should be. When I grocery shop I actually think of who comes over the most and what they like and try to have it in some capacity at all times.  Which at minimum should be a bottle of whiskey, no?  Ok at minimum it should be tea. I epic failed at this the other day and it is like a black mark on my soul.  A B+ on a a report card of all A's.  Nerds are you with me? I had been spending too much time alone and doing things like embroidering, exercising, and eating too much protein, so the Nest was off.  Ran out the next day to stock up on foods that I hardly consider necessary but that would comfort guests and a run to the liquor store is next on the list.  I am back on.   In other news, I got a new bike (!) for future warmer non-Nest hanging out.

This weekend the hang out that can go oh so awesome or oh so terribly wrong..... the Parental Hang.

No comments:

Post a Comment