Sunday, February 26, 2012

Just Foods Conference


Arriving at the conference, very very early.

My dairy consumption and cigarette smoking have caught up with me once again with a slight fever and general achiness so I am not able to keep up the level of hanging out I was hoping for this weekend.  I chose instead to dedicate my energy to attending the Just Foods Conference, an annual conference here in NYC focusing on food justice and sustainability with the input of farmers, food advocates, consumers and the like.  I joked for two weeks before hand I was attending the conference to find my farmer husband, ya know for the commune but in reality I was attending in my continuing effort to rehumanize myself after academia. I realized I needed to get my shit together and start plugging into the NYC activist, foodie, general pro rev scene.  Just Foods was an excellent place to start and I am kicking myself for having not attended the conference the previous two years I have been living here in New York. 


Just to get beef out of the way, the conference of course had its stock of obligatory white liberals.  There was a share of entitlement, great white hopeness and coded language, where the “underserved” and “diverse” means Black and maybe Latino and where the normalization of whiteness led to comments that included the concept of “us” and “them”.  This doesn’t offend me as a Latina but just as a human living in 2012 .  Once again, we are all one.  The paradigm of whiteness and white privilege is dying and it is sad to see people hold onto it so desperately.   Let it go and join us already.  But this percentage was in the minority, I am grateful to say.  The level of bad asses in attendance was beyond inspiring and it was hard to count myself amongst them.  Beyond discussing how to grow yourself into a farmer and the problems with the USDA, much of the conversation was transformative even spiritual.  Not just from the speakers but particularly in interpersonal interactions at breaks, in line for coffee, questions and comments etc.  It was story after story of epiphanies, learning, making a jump from an office job to digging in the soil.  There is a change in the air- can’t we all feel it?

Lunch, some pickled zucchini and tomatoes
To highlight some of the amazingness, I have the names of some folks down below and am doing my best to provide the most up to date links of the projects they are working on.  Undoubtedly the people I most admired at the conference were mostly people of color who talked about their lives as farmers (both urban and rural) but also used their opportunities in the spotlight to talk about dismantling racism and classism and addressing the true causes of hunger and food related disease in this country.


Tanya Fields.
All I had written in my notes during Tanya’s talk was “fucking amazing”.  I was transfixed by her and literally on the edge of my seat and I leaped up to a standing ovation as soon as she was done.  On the topic of addressing food issues in the South Bronx. “I am sure I am going to offend some people in the room but we don’t need white people from the Mid West bringing produce into the Bronx and telling us what to eat….We don’t need a Trader Joe’s or a Whole Foods in the Bronx, we need to empower the people of those communities to produce that food themselves”                                           http://theblkprojek.wordpress.com/about/ 



Yonette Fleming-Urban farmer in Bed-Stuy, a neighborhood that will forever hold a very special spot in my heart. On community empowerment - “This is not about turning the community into consumers”
On changes she has seen in the food justice movement in the last five years - "It has changed from a white elitist movement to a movement for the people! But this is not by accident but because of work done by people of color on the ground”
On white solidarity “Do not be blinded by your privilege!”


Zaid Kurdeih who started a farm because he could not find Halal foods in his area back in the 80's.  “Home, food, shelter, health -are the pillars of humanity.  This is all we need to exist on this earth. This is all we need , this is a blessing.” 

Jalal Sabur. Freedom Food Alliance. I have a video here so he can speak for himself but I was super impressed by Jalal's constant messaging of the inherent importance of solidarity and his ability to connect the farmer and food to multiple levels of injustice.
http://blog.cunysustainablecities.org/2010/11/freedom-food-alliance-bridging-the-gap/ (not his blog but includes a good interview with him)





The conference was held in a high school
in Mid Town and this poster was hanging in
one of the classrooms. I love you New York.
Tanya and I, end of conference glow.

George Welds, restaurateur in the city.  His speech focused largely on the value of manual labor.  He spoke of how the food justice movement must also include valuing the work that is done to put food on our tables whether it be a farmer or a line cook.  That our society looks down on these professions as careers of the uneducated and as a last resort when the people who are in these fields are doing valuable work and love their jobs.  As a former and possibly future dish washer, busser, waitress, prep cook I was a big fan of George's comments.
When you don’t believe in what your doing, work is indeed a curse”.


These folks were presenters at the conference but I made connections with a bucket load of really inspiring people who were just as amazing, just hanging out.   This conference lit a fire in me but most importantly it was fun.



A few more links:


http://browngirlfarming.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pigford-Blues/107686005984000 (documentary on discrimination of Black farmers by the USDA)




No comments:

Post a Comment