Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Happy Men

Nearly every morning I am given the gift of interacting with Marcel (land lord's hubby) and with an older Muslim man who watches the car lot on my block.  They are such beautiful happy men and every day they smile at me and remind me to have a beautiful day.  We always have very simple exchanges but in their happiness and wisdom I am always positive they are here to provide me some sound advice.  Yesterday talking on the stoop with Marcel I saw the bus I usually catch quickly arriving and leaped off the steps, "That's my bus Marcel! I am gonna run and catch it!" I just felt like running because it's fun but Marcel yells out after me, "Don't rush Gloria! There is always a next one!". Another deep life lesson from Marcel, I am sure of it.

The older Muslim man was playing "Chan Chan" in the car lot today and it made me glad. Carib-Latino music always pierces me right in my throat, down to my stomach, making my mouth water and my belly queasy like I have a crush, falling in love.  It triggers my memories of my life at home when I was four, which is when I am sure I was my truest self.  


No comments:

Post a Comment