Monday, April 23, 2012

Rules of Hanging Out #2: Fake It Til You Make It

"Are you looking forward to this weekend?"- the very tall, bespectacled boy asked me, while he continued to bag my groceries.  I was feeling content this evening, buying food for the weekend and the young happy go lucky employees of this Downtown Brooklyn health food store were making me smile.
"Honestly- not really I have to work. How bout yourself?" He paused with my response and looked at me then continued bagging and I wasn't sure if he was pleased or disappointed in my answer.  He says, "Yes.  Because it's supposed to rain."  "Ah kindred spirit", I thought and then we shared how we were kinda bummed that it did not snow more this winter because we enjoy using snow as an excuse for our reclusive natures.  

I get it.  I really do.  Sometimes you just don't want to be around people. You just can't attend one more family event where the conversation revolves around whose kid did what.  Or you can't hang out with your friends and try to respond to the question "What's up? How've you been?" yet again because what you have been up to is weird out of context or too hard to explain and it just falls like a dud into space.  These explanations of what everyone has been doing can begin to sound like boring laundry lists of activities that everyone is spinning in as we tick off the minutes to our certain death.  I fucking get it.  BUT remember those days you force yourself to hang out and you actually see something cool and you actually meet someone cool and you maybe even actually feel some spark in your chest that reminds you that you are indeed happy to be alive.   

Fake it till you make it.  Just sometimes you have to.  To maintain those bonds with people, friends , family, humanity, upholding your end of the bargain of existing on this earth as a human being.  


No comments:

Post a Comment