Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Fuck "Eat, Pray, Love" this is my "Sin Mapas"

I say this to Marissa and she replies,  "That should be your Facebook status".  I don't have Facebook so here ya go.  We were standing in line waiting to get into the free Calle 13 concert happening at Prospect Park.  We had been talking about my disdain of folks referring to my upcoming venture to South America as my version of "Eat, Pray, Love".  In all fairness I have never read the book nor seen the movie that it seems now will peg all solo female travelers from here on out as desperate, lost, and looking for love in the far reaches of the world (from the western world at least).  As I had told Marissa and a few other friends earlier in the week via email , "I was a solo back packing bad ass before that chick even thought of writing that book".   This trip I won't be so much of a solo bad ass for most of the trip but bad ass nonetheless with three other folks who I hope to be blessed enough to have with me.  Sin Mapas was a documentary that René Joglar and his musical brother Eduardo Cabra Martínez of Calle 13, showing their venture through parts of Latin America in hopes of better understanding the countries they were touring through.  I am very much into the pan-Latin vibe of the group, Rene being the Latin Marcus Garvey of my heart.  Like the brothers in the film, I too am eager to understand the land and most importantly the diverse array of people that I share a colonized culture with and see what we have in common and what we don't and how I am going to continue that story for myself from this point onward. 

 I won't be taking pictures.  While I enjoy photography, I find the act of taking pictures makes me feel disconnected from what is happening to me in the moment, much like posting every thought you may have on Facebook, some things are better left in your mind.  I do however have plans of documenting my venture via sound!  With my lil janky digital recorder-plazas, busses, restaurants, beaches-I hope to bring you the sounds of Latin America by December- and that way you can develop your own pictures in your mind of my trek.

Link to Sin Mapas - shown in total. Yea it's in Spanish, get a dictionary.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdIdYa7i3Qk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

No comments:

Post a Comment